Monday, April 14, 2008

Accommodating Allergies

Since I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease last November, I have become very aware of restaurants who are willing to accommodate persons with food allergies. Just about every restaurant will give you a salad without croutons or dressing, but I find there are few with actual "Gluten-Free" options. When I do find an establishment service GF items, I squeal with delight! For example, there is a wonderful little bakery on Hoosick Street (Route 7) in Brunswick, NY, called "Sherry Lynn's Gluten Free Bakery & Cafe". It is run by a husband and wife team who, along with their kids, live gluten-free. Absolutely EVERYTHING in their restaurant is gluten-free. Pizza, pasta, cookies, breads, doughnuts...everything! They bake a gluten-free layered dessert bar (the kind with the M&M's on top) that is, in my opinion, to die for. Well, the only problem for me is that the cafe is a little far out of my way. Much to my surprise, I found that a natural foods store in Stuyvestant Plaza carries some of Sherry Lynn's baked goods, including her doughnuts, pizza and layered bars! Yes, that was an audible squeal you heard!
Which brings me to my next latest find. On our trip to Stuyvestant Plaza, I grabbed a container of Sherry's layered bars and headed over to the Starbuck's located a few storefronts down. With great joy in my heart, I ordered my decaf with skim and sat down and devoured my coffee and GF goodies! I have often wished that Starbuck's would offer some gluten-free options. I would also love them to make their allergen information available either on their website or in-store. Well, seems I am not the only one secretly wishing for this! While surfing my usual GF blogs and sites this morning, I found a new one. Celiac Chicks, which I will be listing among my favorites, contained a link to "My Starbuck's Ideas" where you can vote for all kinds of things. Among the brilliant ideas others have posted is one for GF goodies! So, if you can find it in your heart and have a couple of minutes to go through the account sign-up process (it's free), please vote for all of us who want to enjoy treats at Starbuck's!!! Thanks!!!

No comments: