Sunday, February 24, 2013

Oscar Night and White Chicken Chili

It's Oscar Night!  We will be watching the festivities with a little more interest this year.  Unlike past years, we have actually seen many of the nominated pictures.  Most just in the past week!  We saw Lincoln, Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild and Skyfall!  We saw Les Mis, Brave when they came out in theaters.  The hubby saw The Hobbit, which I will see when it comes out on DVD.

Of all of the movies we've seen, I definitely liked Les Mis the best.  I'm a sucker for musicals of any kind and this one just blew me away.  I know it was panned by many movie critics, but I loved it anyway.

I do think that Daniel Day Lewis did an excellent job playing Lincoln.  I found his portrayal eerie at times.  He was just as I imagined Lincoln to be.

So here are my official Oscar Movie Rankings!  I am not a professional movie critic by far, but I know what I find entertaining!

1) Le Mis...Powerful!  This movie sucked me right in.  Tissues required.
2) Lincoln...Excellent.  Good history lesson for middle school and up children, although they may fall asleep.  ;-)
3) Argo...Very intense.  Had to calm hubby down halfway through the film.  Nail-biter!
4) Skyfall...Good action movie, but it needed more spy gadgets!  LOL!
5) Brave....Nice, Family Movie
6) Beasts of the Southern Wild....MEH...wasn't my kind of movie, I find any movie where there's right-out child abuse hard to watch.


************************

Those of you who know me, know that I've been having shoulder issues for the past five months.  An MRI showed that I have bursitis, tendonitis and bone spurs in my right (dominate) shoulder.  It is very painful to do even everyday tasks like showering, getting dressed, cleaning the house.  So if you see me sitting around in my dirty house, in my jammies, you will understand!  I've been doing PT for two months and have an appointment with the orthopedic in a couple of weeks.  Surgery is starting to look like the only option to get my range of motion back and hopefully get rid of some of the pain. We'll see what the doc says...

I've been trying to clean up my diet, limiting sugar and carbs, to try to combat some of the inflammation in my body, but it's been a real struggle.  It's definitely a work in progress.  I do love my sweets.

************************

I haven't really made a Meal Plan for this week, but I am making a crockpot full of White Chicken Chili and a casserole dish of Mac n' Cheese today and I am planning that there will be plenty of leftovers to carry through the week.

I may eat some of the chili and mac n' cheese, but I'm really focusing on eating more fish and vegetables this week.

Several people have asked for my White Chicken Chili recipe.  It is delicious and my hubby LOVES it.  It is very, very easy.  You don't need to make it in a crock pot, you can use a big pot on the stove.  Unfortunately, I can't take the credit for creating it!  The recipe came from a Rachael Ray show I watched.   Of course, if you are gluten-free, make sure you use gluten-free ingredients.  Boxed chicken broth can contain gluten, so it is important to find a brand that doesn't, such as Progresso or Pacific brands.  You can find the recipe here:


Mandi Forester's White Chicken Chili from the Rachael Ray Show




************************

Have a great week!


No comments: