Monday, December 1, 2008

The "It is what it is" Prayer

My husband is always saying "It is what it is". Truly, it does take the pressure off of worrying about things you cannot control. In the past several weeks, I've been experiencing a lot of nerve pain. Burning, stabbing, aching pain in my hands and arms that is not relieved by any medication I have been prescribed. The times I can spend sitting watching t.v., I spend with the electric heating pad wrapped around my hands. In desperation on Friday, I went out a bought a pair of "mittens without fingers". They are heavy knit, with a warm, fleece lining. They are also electric pink with black butterflies on them. (I will post a picture later.) I've been wearing my day-glo mittens around the house to help keep my hands warm. They really have helped soothe the pain, if only in my mind. They also take me back to the 80's...so Madonna-ish! Anyway, back to my husband's saying... "It is what it is" really reminds me of the Serenity Prayer. I am posting it here today, in it's original form.
Full Original Serenity Prayer
by Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971)
God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.

2 comments:

Jen said...

My friend was having pain in her hands and the doctors said they think it's arthritis in her neck! Seems strange but it's all connected. I hope you feel better soon!

Lisa said...

Thanks, Jenny.

You are right...everything is all connected! My lingering issues are from my neck surgery back in March. All of those nerves go from the brain, down through the neck, to the back, arms, hands, legs, feet. If your friend has arthritis in her neck, it could very well be affecting her hands. I can relate!!! My guess is that her doctor will probably (if she/he hasn't already) put her on Advil or Motrin. It's the best thing to calm down inflamed nerves. Wish I could take them, but can't due to stomach issues. I wish her well!!!

Lisa