Sunday, June 20, 2010

Two Gluten-Free Surprises for Mom on Father's Day!

Ok.  I admit it.  I've been slacking on the blog posts.  I'm blaming it on spring fever and a little bit of writer's block.

I did have two great surprises today.  We decided to take my husband out for lunch for Father's Day.  He chose Outback Steakhouse because, well, what's Father's Day without a little steak anyway???  I was happily looking over my gluten-free menu when the waiter brought over the little loaf of gluten-filled, brown bread.  When my husband told him not to put it in front of me, the waiter said "Oh, sorry.  Would you like a loaf of gluten-free bread?"  Wow!

Outback had served gluten-free bread in the past.  Then they took it away.  I blogged about it here.  Well, now it's back!  I'm not sure that it's the same bread that they served before, but it was really good.    It's lovely to have bread with my 6 oz. Special Steak, baked potato and green beans.  Thanks, Outback!!!

My second surprise was later, when we decided to go out for soft ice cream.  One of the pleasures of summer is going to The Country Drive-In on Crescent Road in Clifton Park.  This is a very busy spot in hot weather and if you can find a parking space, you are in luck!  We have been known to circle the lot many times on crowded nights, only to drive away without our ice cream!  :(

Today, it was the middle of the afternoon and not terribly crowded.  I ordered my usual.  Small hot fudge sundae with fat-free, sugar-free yogurt.  Today's yogurt flavor was "Very Berry".  We stepped back from the window after placing our orders and there it was.  On the window.  Right there in front of us.  "Gluten-Free Cones Now Available Upon Request."    NO WAY!  (I think I actually heard a choir singing in the background..."AHHHHH")  The world is definitely changing right before our very eyes.  Now, I'm not much of a "cone person", but you'd better believe that next time we go, I will be ordering one of the gluten-free cones!  Just because I can. 

No comments: