Thursday, October 23, 2008

Gluten-Free Shopping Blowout

So, today was grocery shopping day. I decided that I was going to go to my local Health Foods Store, The Green Grocer, to get a good supply of GF foods. I was armed with a $5 off of $40 store coupon. Awesome! So, I ended up spending a total of $48.69 for the GF items pictured above. I bought: Perky O's Cereal $4.89 Panda Puffs Cereal $4.99 Koala Crisps Cereal $4.99 Bakery On Main GF Granola $6.99 Enjoy Life Caramel Apple Breakfast Bars $4.49 Pamela's GF Flour Mix $4.49 Pamela's GF Favorite Sandwich Bread Mix $6.19 Pamela's Chocolate Almond Biscotti $5.19 Foods By George Personal Size Cheese Pizza $7.19 (Not pictured, it's in the freezer) Enjoy Life Boom Choco Boom Dark Chocolate Bar $1.99 (Not pictured...OK, so I ate it on the way home) Silk Hazelnut Coffee Creamer $2.29 (Not pictured) I'm hoping that by stocking up on my GF foods and taking advantage of the store coupon, instead of running into the store every week to pick up a couple of things, I will save time and money in the end. Except for the chocolate bar, which is long gone...this stuff should last me several weeks...at least I hope so. I have the Bread Mix in my bread machine, baking as I'm writing this. I can't wait to have some warm, homemade bread tonight with our roasted chicken dinner. By the way, one little tip I've learned from making fresh GF bread and having it get "icky" in a couple of days on the counter...I cut the loaf into slices, eat what I want while it's fresh and warm, then individually wrap each slice in cling wrap, slide the slices into a freezer bag and put them in the freezer. Then when I want a slice, I grab it out of the bag and microwave it for around 15 seconds. Taa Daa! Warm, fresh bread, anytime you want! So, after stopping at the health food store, I went to on Walmart to do the rest of my shopping. I bought a jar of Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter. Man, is that stuff good! The bonus is that it states "Gluten-Free" right on the label! I had it with a sliced Macoun apple for lunch. This peanut butter boasts of all natural ingredients and at only 3 points for 2 tablespoons, if you are counting, it's a great way to get some protein and feed your chocolate craving as well. As always, I have marked the jar with a GF sticker to keep any stray knives out of it!

As a side note, I purchased the peanut butter at Walmart for $3.48. I noticed that on their website, it goes for $6. I guess I got a bargain without even realizing it, huh?

2 comments:

Kat said...

If I may ask, how are the apple caramel bars? I've seen them in the stores but I've been nervous about trying them (it's not cheap to try new gluten free goods) - we really haven't had many good experiences trying gluten free snack bars. Vince hates a lot of the "popular" bars like Larabars and the like. Would you recommend the Enjoy Life bars? Thanks. :)

Lisa said...

Hi Kat,

I'm sorry, I meant to follow-up on my gf purchases, but I've been slacking terribly! The next post is for you! Thanks for reminding me!

Lisa