Wednesday, September 9, 2009

In Search of Gluten-Free Weight Loss Shakes

Over the past year, I have been struggling with not only eating gluten-free, but trying to drop quite a few extra pounds. I've tried to start on Weight Watchers again, which I have had success with in the past, but have found it more difficult this time. I've tried eating healthier, which is great, but still haven't lost weight. I have given up all snacking after 7pm. I still find myself snacking way too much during the day! Even too many healthy snacks can pack on the pounds. I suppose my chocolate addiction isn't helping either! I got to thinking about my BCD (Before Celiac Disease) days and how I used to keep my weight down. It dawned on me. Slim-Fast Shakes used to be my go-to diet food. Quick, easy, no preparation or thinking involved, GRAB AND GO! I knew that the regular Slim-Fast Shakes are not gluten-free. I wondered if by chance Slim-Fast may have a gluten-free version out there. The Slim-Fast website shows "New Easier to Digest" Lactose-Free, Gluten-Free Shakes. Eureka! Since I hadn't heard any buzz about these shakes, I wondered if I was the only one who didn't know that these LF GF shakes existed? So, of course, I had to get my hands on some of those shakes! First, I tried Amazon.com. They have EVERYTHING, right? Three shakes were shown, Chocolate, Coffee, Vanilla. All "Out of Stock". Hmmm. Next, I poked around my local drug stores. Nada. I finally emailed Slim-Fast. Here is the response I received. Hello Lisa, Thank you for contacting us recently. Our company no longer markets this product, since consumer demand does not warrant its continued production, and there are no plans to reintroduce this product into the market. We are sorry if it was one of your favorites. We hope you will be able to find another one of our products that meets your needs. If you are lactose intolerant, we suggest trying our Slim Fast Optima Powder Shake mixes blended with lactose-free milk or low-fat soy milk to make a 99% lactose-free shake. In addition, the Slim Fast Meal On-The-Go Bars are lower in lactose with 2 grams of lactose or less per serving. Thank you for your interest in Slim-Fast. Please contact us at 1-800-SLIMFAST (754-6327) if you have additional questions, or visit us online at www.slim-fast.com. Sincerely, The Slim-Fast Support Team Seriously? Consumer demand does not warrant its continued production? Huh? Where have they been lately? Ok, so, I sent them an email thanking them for their quick response and telling them I have Celiac and that I am disappointed that the shakes are no longer available. Then I shrugged my shoulders and decided that I needed to find another way to shed the fat. Until.... The other day when I was at Walmart, I decided to take a look at their EQUATE version of the shakes. There, right on the box, next to the Allergy Info, clear as day, it said, "Does Not Contain Gluten!" Wahoooo! I was so excited I bought two boxes of them! The bonus is that they are cheaper and have more fiber, less sugar and fewer calories than the Slim-Fast version. HA! You guys probably already knew all of this stuff, didn't you? Oh, well, just in case there's someone else out there who was also alone in the dark, I thought I should share! Have a great gluten-free day! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. I have lupus and was a slim faster. It has been recommended that I follow a gluten free diet. Thanks once again!

Lisa said...

Thank you for your comment I'm so glad you found this post helpful

Anonymous said...

If I already knew this I would not have found your post! thank you so much for this very helpful info! I have gained so much weight since going gluten free, WW not working this time around :( Looking for gf slim fast ~ Thank you again!

Unknown said...

Thank You