Tuesday, February 2, 2010

This & That Plus Two Gluten-Free Food Reviews

With all of the cold weather we've been having in Upstate, NY the last few weeks, I felt I needed a little bit of Spring, so I bought this organic basil plant at the grocery store yesterday. Isn't it pretty? And GREEN! Let's hope I don't forget to water it...I have a habit of killing indoor plants! So first, I have to tell you about my favorite breakfast. Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Rolled Oats. I add raisins, ground flax seed meal, a little real maple syrup and then top with Almond Butter, fresh blueberries and some Lite Vanilla Silk Soy Milk! Heaven, sheer heaven! I've been trying a lot of the new gluten-free items I bought last week at the market. Some have been good, some not so good. Here's the run down: Glutenfreeda Gluten-Free Vegetarian Bean & Cheese Burrito I'm not a big burrito lover, but when I saw this in the freezer case, I decided to give it a try. It's not too bad calorie and fat wise, only 4 Weight Watcher's points. The bonus is that it can be microwaved for a quick lunch or snack. The burrito had a nice flavor, not too spicy and had lots of yummy beans, rice and corn inside. I had this for lunch and it did keep my tummy happy for quite a while. I would definitely buy this item again. Che'be' Gluten-Free Sandwich Buns I totally had my expectations up for this one. The picture on the box looked so delicious! Not to mention that there are cheese in these buns! The calories and fat are a little high for this one. One "bun" is 6 Weight Watcher's points. Well, right away when I opened the package, I wondered how these little white frozen discs could turn out like the picture on the cover. So, I put one in the oven. I set the timer for 35 minutes, which was way longer than it took to cook my Sunshine Burger. I could have timed it a little better!

What came out of the oven looked NOTHING like the picture on the box. It was a hard, brown, heavy disk of "bread". When I bit into it, it had a rubbery, cheesy middle. I was not impressed at all. I think a Frisbee would be tastier. I was wondering if I did something wrong. Has anyone else tried these? I would love to hear all about it.

I will review some of my other purchases in my next post... Until then, have a great gluten-free week!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Lisa -
Chebe bread & buns are not like other GF buns/bread. It is essentially Brazilian Cheese Bread and has a texture unique to itself. I like them for pulled pork or deli sandwiches. I usually make them from the mix, though, not the frozen ones.

Kim

Lisa said...

Kim-

Wow. I thought I responded to this earlier. It must have been all in my head! LOL!

I'm wondering if the mix rises better than the frozen? Have you ever reviewed it? I would love to see what yours comes out like.

I think I was definitely expecting it to be bun-like and it turned out nothing like that. I still have three more left in the freezer, so I'm not going to give up yet. I guess I could always put some sauce and veggies on top of it and use it for pizza crust.

:)

Kat said...

We tried the gluten freeda burrito too -- I don't know if it was our microwave or what but the two burritos we bought (a breakfast burrito and a "regular" burrito) were extremely soggy and had a gross texture. Maybe cooking them in the oven would be better, but that defeats the purpose of a quick grab-and-go lunch...

Thanks for the tip on Chebe bread!

Lisa said...

Hey Kat,

I would definitely try the burritos in the oven next time as well. I didn't mind that the tortilla was a little "soft", but I think crispier would be better!

:)