Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Gluten-Free Carrot Cake and Tubing

Wow.  I can't believe the week is almost half over already.  Last weekend came and went and I was so busy, I didn't have time to blog about it!  So, here's a little review.

Saturday, I made my family's favorite Gluten-Free Carrot Cake.  Now, even though I am the only gluten-free person in the house, I try to bake almost exclusively gluten-free.  That way I don't have to worry about cross-contamination of my utensils, pot, pans, etc.  There are some times when I do make my family a special "regular" treat, but I make sure to line the baking pans with foil or parchment paper and wash them and all baking utensils very carefully.

Now, back to the carrot cake!  I make the cake from Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix.  You can view the entire recipe on Pamela's website here.  I added raisins instead of walnuts and I frosted the cake with a can of Betty Crocker Cream Cheese Frosting.  I used my Salad Shooter to grate the carrots.  Boy, I love that thing!  It was a hand-me-down from my mom.  You can have your Cuisinarts and your mandolin graters, I like my Shooter!



The cake came out great, except for the center, which didn't bake all the way and fell when it started to cool.  This isn't the first time I've made this cake and it didn't do that the other times, so I'm not sure what happened!  I even tested the cake when the timer went off and left it in for an additional 10 minutes.  I had to fill the sunkin-in middle with extra frosting.  ;)


I didn't have a shamrock cookie cutter (which I will purchase next time I see one!), so I used a flower instead and filled it in with green sugar.   I think it looks a little bit Irish, don't you?


On Sunday, we went to West Mountain to go tubing.  It was a beautiful, sunny, 50 degree day and we all had a great time.


Now that I've reminised about last weekend, I'm wondering what we will do exciting this coming weekend???  Hmmmmm.....

No comments: